Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Paadhai - An Album worth a bookmark

Its a sleepy afternoon at DECS and I'm tapping away at my dusty keyboard, littered with everything from split coffee beans to scraps from my last "in cubicle" lunch. My facebook wall is as always, a flood of things

....people taking "how well do you know XYZ" quizzes... amusing status messages about haircuts.. ogly(adjective form of ogle.. i guess..) comments on photographs.. etc etc...

And suddenly there's a blast from the past. Shammeer (yes...two m's and two e's), a figure from my old life at Anna University posts a link and says there's a new album out for us to listen to. For the record, i did know that shammeer and a couple of his buddies were going down the musical highway, dabbling with instruments, lyrics and vocals.

What followed was something like this.. I snapped on my shiny headphones (probably shiny from all the coca cola i spilt on them over the weekend) and clicked the link... and there it was.. a cool graphic that said the one thing most websites like to say and most web users dont like to hear.

__________LOADING___________

Thank god for tabs in firefox. I was far away on gmail land when a tune began to play. Instinctively, my mouse cursor flew to the red X on the top right corner of my browser (..lame..).. but before my index finger could lay a curse on this entire collection of tabs.. the tune began to progress into something else.... something .... (I spent a long time thinking this line out...)...something special.. A kind of tune that makes u drop everything u're doing and reach for your phone.. to call the one u love (corny.. i know...but thats what i did)...





Presenting , Paadhai - Payanam, an independant, amatuer music album composed, written, recorded and arranged by a set of my friends. Here is my take on the album that comprises 10 full length tracks.

The first thing that caught my eye was the site itself. Being an amatuer web developer, I knew instantly that i was dealing with someone of wealth and taste (thanks mario)....Each of the ten dual named tracks (English/Tamil) tied in with an image that attempted to dilineate the mood and theme of the song itself. This, i thought was a brilliant idea!

Coming to the music.. I would describe the songs as minimalistic at best, but at the same time pleasing to the ears and with meaningful lyrics. The band manages to stick to the same soulful, soft rocksy feel throughout but manages to add in some smart jazz, RnB and Trance undertones. On the whole, a commendable attempt..one that should surely lead to more songs and more opportunities.

My personal favorites include the following songs.

1. Sattenna Thirumbi / Introspection

2. Kanneer Thevai Illai / Move On

3. Oraayiram Naatkal / Another Try

I urge you all to visit www.paadhai.in and listen to the songs !!

3 comments:

  1. Now am left with this one question

    //A kind of tune that makes u drop everything u're doing and reach for your phone.. to call the one u love (corny.. i know...but thats what i did)...

    Whom did you call.? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool. I liked this combo. he he...

    "soulful, soft rocksy feel through out but manages to add in some smart jazz, RnB and Trance undertones"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks machis..and shammmeer.. isnt the answer to your question a little obvious :P

    ReplyDelete